Saturday 1 January 2011

Norfolk, Suffolk And Herts - 31.12.10






Photos of 1 of the 3 Scaup and the 3 Scaup, the leucistic Pintail and Wigeon, 66 of the Waxwings and the extent of the fog at Breydon Water.

I was up early to make the most of the lack of fog that had been around the day before. I started off just down the road at Gorleston-on-Sea and almost immediately a flock of birds appeared from inland and heading out to sea. Thinking they would be geese I was amazed to see they were Cormorants. 5 large groups headed over and I counted at least 472 birds! Easily the most i've seen at one time. In the car park 11 Turnstone were looking for food and an adult Mediterranean Gull flew past.

I then decided to go to Lowestoft harbour in the hopes of seeing the juv Iceland Gull that ha dbeen around for a while. No sign of it there so next stop was my first visit to Leathes Ham. Again no sign while I was there but the 2nd year tick of the trip was. 3 Scaup (1 male + 2 females) were on the ice free section where I managed to get a couple of crappy shots! Also present were 3 Pintails (the male bird being leucistic), a pair of Wigeon where the female was also leucistic and a Kingfisher was heard. Back in the car 3 Water Rails suddenly appeared 20 feet from the car in the waterside foliage.

Next port of call was Breydon Water but on arrival the fog had returned and all that was seen was a couple of Redshanks. The geese I wanted to see could be heard but not seen!
Finally a quick detour to Chiswell Green before going home saw 70 Waxwings on the Watford Road feeding in a small Sorbus tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment