Monday 10 January 2011

1st for Cassiobury Park! - 10.1.11

I was in the park all day today so whist doing my job I had the chance to try and find some year ticks. Nearly the first bird of the day was a flock of around 40 Waxwings that flew over the tennis courts and my head calling at 8.20am heading NE! The first year tick of the day was 4 Stock Doves near the cafe. Other birds of note were 8 Ring-Necked Parakeets, a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker, 5 Cormorants, 40+ Goldfinches with 80+ Siskins, Sparrowhawk, a calling Tawny Owl at 10am was a surprise and a year tick as was a Little Egret on the cress beds. Also on the cress beds was a brief Water Rail and a Little Grebe.

As for the 1st for the park at around 10.30am I heard the call of and then saw a Greylag Goose flying North following the canal. It was only when i got home and checked my park records that I realised that it's never been seen before!! A strange but welcomed record and the 4th year tick of the day. Also the 147th species for the park and Whippendell Woods and follows closely the last addition also a goose (Pink-Footed).

No comments:

Post a Comment