Sunday 2 January 2011

County Tick - 2.1.11



The male and female Bearded Tit and the reedbed at Southern CP.

On the way back from Norfolk on new years eve news on the pager broke of 2 Bearded Tits at Southern CP near Bishop's Stortford. Not knowing where it was I decided to head on home and try at the weekend. This morning I arrived on site at 10.40am and walked round the other side and waited. After 10 minutes or so I caught the 2 birds fly from one side of the reed bed to the other. Another birder was viewing from the other side so I went and joined him but after only seeing 6 Reed Buntings and having a Siskin and 2 Skylarks overhead and a Water Rail squealing I went back to the other side. After another 15 or so minutes I noticed some movemet low down at the bases of the Reedmace and there about 25 feet away were the 2 Bearded Tits (a pair and my first in Herts). I beckoned the other birders over from the other side and together we watched them flitting around and every now and then they showed out in the open where I managed to grab the 2 photos above.

No comments:

Post a Comment