Tuesday 25 January 2011

Dungeness - 23.1.11



Record shot of the Slavonian Grebe, female Goosander and adding to my list of 'sunbathing animals' (Mole and Seal) now a sunbathing Hare!!


Normally I don't go to Dungeness in January as I prefer to go there in the Spring when theres migrants to be had. But there was some good birds present so off we went. The first good bird of the day was a Little Egret in a flooded field just before the turn off to Snave followed by the first year tick of the day when 2 Red-Legged Partridges were trying to conceal themselves in a field. First point of call was down at the beach area. Unfortunately the juv Glaucous Gull wasn't playing ball but year ticks were falling fast with both Razorbills and Guillemots flying past with the odd Red-Throated Diver and Gannet. There were quite a few Kittiwakes aswell.

We then went to the RSPB reserve where almost as soon as we arrived Marsh Harrier got onto my list. Probably the best bird of the day was the Slavonian Grebe on one of the pits but as hard as I tried I couldn't get a good photo of it. 3 female Smew were dotted around and a pair of Goosander flew over me aswell as another female from one of the hides. A Black-Necked Grebe was on Denge Marsh and on the ARC pit I missed Bittern but had a lovely male Smew.

No comments:

Post a Comment