Saturday 1 January 2011

Norfolk - 30.12.10

As I had to take my dads xmas presents up to him in Norfolk I decided to try and make the most of it and try to get a further 7 species for the year to reach 200. Unfortunately due to the weather and lack of information only 2 were seen! A Little Egret flew over Flitcham on the way and my first stop was Brancaster Staithe where the previous day a Northern Harrier had been seen. I arrived at 9.30am and 2 hours later the only birds of note were a female Marsh Harrier, 2 Little Egrets and many 100's of Dark-Bellied Brent Geese and Pink-Footed Geese. It was only when another birder turned up in the hope of seeing Hen Harriers that he informed us that the Northern Harrier had been showing well at Thornham Marsh for the last 2 hours! Off I went and then stood around for another 3 hours! Just after 1pm I saw a harrier sp fly through but didn't get much detail on it. 2 other birders decided to head back to Brancaster and we swapped mobile numbers incase either of us found it. They were half way down the track when from nowhere my first NORTHERN HARRIER flew into view. The other 2 birders car suddenly stopped and out they got to view it. This was at 1.25pm 5 minutes before I had to leave!! Due to the fact that it had taken 5 hours to see it my other plans didn't happen and off I went to my dads.

No comments:

Post a Comment