Saturday 12 November 2022

Back To Scilly - 24.10.22

 My last day back on the islands saw me finally get onto a pelagic with a mini 3 hour one. It turned out to be a disaster with just a Manx Shearwater and some dolphins seen. A Leach's Petrel was shouted but only seen by 2 people. Amazingly the next day from Peninnis thousands of Cory’s Shearwaters were seen again!

Once back on dry land I headed back up to the Telegraph area. A Black Redstart was still at Porthloo and I then found another in a horse field off of Content Lane. Up at Pungies Lane I spotted my first Clouded Yellow butterfly for many years and then after a good 45 minute wait a flock of Meadow Pipit flew up out of the fields and in with them a harsh call was heard and we picked up the Red-throated Pipit as it flew around before dropping back down again. My 2nd on Scilly and 3rd in UK.

Red-rumped Swallow 

News then broke that the long staying American Buff-bellied Pipit had been re-found near Watermill. I decided to grab a late lunch at Longstones first and while eating this news broke of a Red-rumped Swallow at Porth Hellick Pool. As this would be a Scilly tick I headed down to the pool but there were only 2 of its commoner cousins present.  I walked down towards the beach when the radio burst into life to say it was back over the pool. I got on it and followed it around before it headed straight towards us. Like the Pallid Swift it then occasionally flew a few feet over our heads. I put this news out over the radio and we were joined by a few people to enjoy this late afternoon twitch. Just my 3rd in the UK it was a good end to a good few days.

Hopefully I’ll be back again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment