Saturday 12 November 2022

Back To Scilly - 23.10.22

 After the excitement of the Saturday the Sunday was a much more mellow affair. As I walked out of my accommodation 2 Siskin flew over followed by a further 8 over Porth Mellon Beach. Up at Porthloo I saw 2 Black Redstart on the beach and new sea defences. I reached Telegraph and checked the weather radar. A good couple of hours heavy rain was imminent so I headed back to my digs to use the loo, have some lunch and watch the Watford v Luton game. It was a good decision as it chucked it down and Watford won 4-0!


Black Redstart

Once the game had finished I headed back out and up towards the airport. On Porth Minnick I found another Black Redstart and after a 10 minute wait at the windsock I finally saw the Richard’s Pipit before it was flushed by a dog walker who was completely oblivious to me watching it. With the lack of planes arriving I also saw 43 Fieldfare, 13 Ringed Plover and a single Golden Plover on the runways.

Richard’s Pipit

I then walked along the coast path to Porth Hellick where from the Sussex hide I spotted a Jack Snipe followed by my 3rd Wilson’s Snipe on Scilly. 

News of a Radde’s Warbler near Longstones had me heading over but it’d already been missing for 20 minutes and wasn’t seen again. On my walk back to my digs I picked up a Firecrest by Longstones cottages.




No comments:

Post a Comment