Saturday 17 March 2012

Cornwall + Devon - 16.3.12



The 2 American ducks. American Wigeon top and Ring-Necked Duck below.



As it was my mums birthday and my weekend with my son I had to leave early on Friday to get back in time. Even so I still stopped off twice on the way home in the search for year ticks and the first stop was back at Par beach pool. This time I got straight onto the drake Ring-Necked Duck but as I got back with my camera it had gone into hiding and did so for nearly 10 minutes before re-appearing. I managed 1 photo of it as it was annoyingly behind trees and foliage for most of the time it was surfaced!


Happy with that bird which was my 150th species of the year (my 2nd quickest time to 150) I headed out of Cornwall and into Devon where a quick stop at Exminster Marshes RSPB was hoped for. On arrival I spoke to another birder who informed me he had literally just re-found the drake American Wigeon after it had been missing for 3 hours! I parked up and walked round and got onto the bird but it wasn't playing ball and constantly kept hiding (note a theme for today?!). The small flock of Wigeon then took flight and landed nearby and eventually the yank showed well enough to grab a photo. 8 Sand Martins flew over and became the 26th and final year tick of a fabulous week.

No comments:

Post a Comment