Saturday 17 March 2012

Cornwall - 15.3.12





The Surf Scoter and the showy Eider.


As Mount's Bay was only 50 yards from my door I started off the day there again and while scanning I picked up an all black duck in flight. It landed just off the pool and I could clearly see it was the Surf Scoter! A brisk walk and quick scan and I picked it up a couple of hundred yards offshore where I just managed to get a photo of the bird. As far as I can tell the only photo of this bird thats been taken! I walked back to the car and just offshore a young male Eider was performing for the public!


Next stop was Marazion beach where quite quickly I connected with the Water Pipit. It was just starting to get some pink colouring on the breast but before I could get a photo it was chased by a dog and flew further down the beach. I then crossed over the road to look over the RSPB reserve. The highlight was my first singing Chiffchaff of the year. But a Cetti's Warbler burst into song and a Little Egret was sleeping on an island.


Afterwards I headed for Helston where in the past i'd seen 3 Ring-Billed Gulls on the boating lake. Not this time though! A quick look around the sewage works did produce a male Blackcap, 2 Goldcrests but the best bird was a Siberian Chiffchaff that at times showed down to a few feet showing off the warmish brown upperpart and pale underparts with a brownish wash to the cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment