Saturday 17 March 2012

Cornwall - 11.3.12



The Black Redstart and Glaucous Gull at Newlyn.



After my mammoth journey I crawled out of bed fairly late but slightly more refreshed! I had a check around the jubilee pool to try and see some Purple Sandpipers but none were seen. A Rock Pipit flew over and so got on my list.


I then drove round to Newlyn harbour where virtually straight away I re-found the adult Glaucous Gull stood on the harbour wall. After watching it for a while I went and sat on the wall and was lucky to see a flash of red flick up from around some lobster pots. It was the Black Redstart and even better it was a stonking male. Happy with these 2 birds I then concentrated on the sea which rewarded me with a Great-Northern Diver, 4 Common Scoter (1 male), and 3 Gannets. 2 more Ravens flew over as did 3 Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk.


A late afternoon visit to Drfit Reservoir in the hope of a white-winged gull didn't produce but a drake Scaup was at the far North end and whilst watching that the only other birder present said they had a small falcon flying away. I got onto it and identified it as a Merlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment