Wednesday 30 October 2019

Wilstone, Hilfield + College Lake - 31.3.19

Myself and George had an early start in the hope of connecting with the Great White Egret that had roosted at Wilstone Reservoir the previous evening. No joy with that though I did note 31 Little Egret which is a county record flock for me. 2 Egyptian Geese added something exotic to the day and 50+ Sand Martin and a couple of Swallow made it feel like Spring despite it being a bit chilly.

Osprey (thanks again George!)

I then showed George the delights of Hilfield Reservoir! The walk round went quickly but we did note 10 Black-necked Grebe, 3 Chiffchaff and a singing Blackcap but about 3/4 round I suddenly noticed a gull getting agitated almost directly above the hide so I got it in my bins and as I thought it was mobbing an Osprey! I got George onto it and it headed straight over our heads on its journey. It was then picked up my mate Ricky at Tyttenhanger about 20 minutes later.

We then returned north to College Lake to add Little Ringed Plover to the year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment