Thursday 31 October 2019

Booby Hunting part 2! - 7.9.19

As expected the day after the dip of the Brown Booby near St.Ives I went back to work and boom the mega alert sounds and sure enough the Brown Booby had been re-found this time at Kynance Cove on the Lizard Peninsular! As the reports came in it transpired that it was a completely new bird due to age and plumage differences. For the next 5 days it was reported showing well sitting on rocks and flying around hunting for fish.

So along with Matt and George we headed down on Saturday morning making great time on our journey. The walk up to where people were positioned nearly killed me but I made it and set up my scope waiting for the time it usually made an appearance. That time came and went and by 10.30 it was obvious it wasn't there. I jokingly said that's probably the only time I've hated Boobies!

7 Chough, Sooty Shearwater and Great Skua made the year list but they didn't really cheer us up and not even a year first Firecrest by the toilet block helped. To make matters worse we were almost home when a report of the Booby came through having flown past the café distantly. Oh well :(

No comments:

Post a Comment