Monday 28 October 2013

Scilly - 11.10.13

 
 
The excellently named Nowhere, Sunset over the harbour and a still Common Song Thrush.
 
My last day on Scilly had arrived and my choice was to stay on St.Mary's and walk around the top of the island. I started off walking through Lower Moors and heard Water Rail and Kingfisher and then the first few Redwing that had probably been blown in by the strong northerlies. News that the Yellow-Browed Warbler was still on The Garrison saw me heading that way. Just before I arrived some more Redwing flew over and in with them was my first Fieldfare of the autumn. As I was expecting the YB Warbler didn't show so I grabbed a drink and walked up to Porthloo beach where straight away I picked out a Whimbrel on the rocks. Just below the golf course the field with two black cows didn't hold the Wryneck that had been present for a few days. Eventually I reached Bar Point where I had a quick scan at the sea and picked up an auk sp and 3 Kittiwake. I then got a bit hungry so went to the Strudel House for a piece of the yummy strudel and a drink. I timed it perfectly as I grabbed the last piece!! 15 Fieldfare flew over as I was eating it. Another 30 flew over Carreg Dhu garden as did the only House Martin of the week. A Firecrest got onto the list as it called from just outside the garden. The final bit of birding of the week was a showy Jack Snipe on shooters pool.

In Scilly terms it was a quiet week but I still managed 25 year ticks and 16 Scilly ticks but it was the first time I'd not added a new UK species to my list. But I'm sure I will be back again next year even though had I been on Shetland this autumn I could have had over a dozen new ticks!


No comments:

Post a Comment