Monday 28 October 2013

Gunners Park - 14.10.13

The male Ring Ouzel.
 
After a weekend of relaxing I decided to head to Essex to see the 4 Parrot Crossbill that had appeared as part of a large movement in Europe. After getting through the M25 roadworks, the never ending speed cameras around Southend and my sat nav trying to take me through dead ends I arrived and parked up only to be told they had flown off about 30 minutes prior. While waiting for them to return I counted 200+ Dark Bellied-Brent Goose on the mud with a single Little Egret. 13 Swallow flew south in 1-2's. I moved around the site in an attempt to pick up the parrots but a tit flock caught my attention so I spent a bit of time looking at them as they flitted between trees. Just then I picked up the top half of a bird that had a very bright eye stripe. I mentioned to a couple of nearby birders that I thought i'd just had a Yellow-Browed Warbler. A few more joined us and then about 5 minutes later I picked up the bird again and yes it was a Yellow-Browed Warbler!! This was the first one i'd found so I was happy. I was then told that there was a Ring Ouzel a short walk away so off I went and after a 15 minute wait two birders got onto a nice male across the water on a grass path. I managed a few photos but only 1 was any good! Shame I dipped the Crossbills but a self found sibe was great compensation!

No comments:

Post a Comment