Monday 25 April 2011

Right Place, Right Time pt2 - 23.4.11

The 1st winter Iceland Gull.


A lovely warm sunny day greeted us and so an ice cream was called for! Just down the road from my dads in Gorleston-on-Sea is a small car park where we had our ice cream and whilst there I had a scan of the sea and picked up a lone Whimbrel flying North! A nice year tick. Afterwards it was a toss up between visiting Corton for a Ring Ouzel or Lowestoft for an Iceland Gull. Lowestoft won! Almost as soon as we had walked onto the North denes I picked up a bright all white gull in the distance. It turned and revealed a white head so that ruled out a Mediterranean Gull. We walked down to the beach only to find people sunbathing and there was me with my binoculars!! The Iceland Gull was sat on the end of one of the groynes where I got a record shot if it through my bins. It was my first Iceland Gull since 2004. 2 adult Mediterranean Gulls flew over as we walked back to the car. On the way back to the caravan we popped into Breydon Water where there were 2 large white birds. Spoonbills!!

No comments:

Post a Comment