Monday 25 April 2011

Right Place, Right Time pt.1 - 22.4.11

Friday morning was a bank holiday yet I was up at 6am and had a drive up to my dads in Norfolk ahead of me. Now incase your wondering about the title i'll tell you why! Whilst filling up my car at the Esso petrol station on the North Orbital 11 Waxwings flew over! On arrival in Norfolk I paid my usual visit to Winterton Dunes but this time me and the missus tried out the North dunes as 2 Ring Ouzels had been there the day before. We didn't see them but 2 Wheatears flew off infront of us and a male Yellowhammer was a year tick. After that it became very quiet until I turned round and saw a medium size raptor flying towards us. It was only when it was nearly alongside us that I noticed it had long thin wings and a white rump and long ringed tail and crucially the small black patch on the wing. It was a female Montagu's Harrier! The last one I saw was a male on the South dunes a couple of years ago. It flew off to the North and was lost to view. After a cream tea and a male Wheatear on top of a bush we went and had a look around the chalet park in Winterton and as we were leaving a male Ring Ouzel flew over my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment