Tuesday 12 April 2011

Hilfield And Tyttenhanger - 10.4.11



The pair of Wheatears and the in-hand Jay.


A fairly early start for me, well on a Sunday anyway! A wander around Hilfield only produced 2 Common Terns for the year list but a Jay caught by the ringers was nice to see so close up. Afterwards I went to Tyttenhanger GP's where I hoped i'd clear up a few year ticks. It didn't start too well as the Wheatear in the sheep field adjacent to the miniature railway site had gone missing. I bumped into another birder who mentioned that Whitethroat and Reed Warbler were singing. I carried on and managed to pick out the 4 Redshanks on the main pit aswell as my first Little Ringed Plover of the year. Another Common Tern was sat on the mud and 30+ Sand Martins were overhead along with 2 Swallows. Whilst walking over the causeway the Reed Warbler started singing but only briefly as did a Whitethroat. I reached the hide and watched as 2 Red Kites flew over the pit and then in amazement as a young couple went kayaking on the water! At pylon corner a pair of Bullfinches flew overhead. Just before I got back to the car I checked the sheep field again and found the male Wheatear and while watching it a female ran into view!

No comments:

Post a Comment