Wednesday 6 December 2023

Scilly - 8.10.23

Redstart

My first full day on the islands got off to a frustrating flier. I wandered the short distance from my digs up to Peninnis hoping to see the male Redstart that had been found the day before and as I approached its favoured field I noticed half a dozen birders all looking in my direction and pointing to me that it was perched on a gate. As soon as I lifted my bins it flew across the track and vanished.

I walked along the start of the Peninnis farm trail track to scan the field it’d headed towards and after a couple of minutes a bird flicked up onto the top of the hedge then flew to the corner of the field. I got it in my bins and noted it was a bunting sp. I got it in my scope and was amazed to see it was a Little Bunting! It sat there motionless but constantly calling for the next 20-30 seconds before it flicked over the hedge and promptly vanished never to be seen again. I put the news out on the radio and despite people arriving within a minute everyone left buntingless. A few minutes later the Redstart appeared and showed well.

Rose-coloured Starling

As time was ticking by and I had a boat to catch I walked down to Porthcressa beach where after a few minutes someone picked out the juvenile Rose-coloured Starling stood alone distantly on a rooftop. Popplestone Fields on Bryher was my next destination. For those who don’t recognise the name it’s where last years Blackburnian Warbler was but this year I was after a different, less stunning but still nice warbler. A good 10 minutes elapsed before someone picked it up and we all eventually had great views of only my 2nd Melodious Warbler and a Scilly tick to boot. 

Melodious Warbler 

A female Merlin flew over as we were watching the warbler and further along the island we had ridiculous views of a juvenile Dotterel as it fed amongst the stunted vegetation. 

Dotterel

Samson Hill was my next port of call where despite giving it a good go I failed to connect with the Red-backed Shrike in the horse paddock nor the Barred Warbler on the other side of the hill. Though I did manage to find a very brief Wryneck whilst dipping the warbler! Thankfully the Wryneck did show to others the following day. 

I finished the day back on Peninnis with another/same female Merlin and 73 Cory’s Shearwater past the headland.






No comments:

Post a Comment