Tuesday 5 December 2023

Scilly - 13.10.23

Pallid Harrier

The morning started dry and in some style. News of a possible Pallid Harrier broke from St.Martin’s but soon went cold but as I was walking past the entrance to Old Town churchyard the radio burst into life saying that the now confirmed harrier was over Lower Moors. I quickly joined a handful of birders in the Standing Stones field but here was no sign. Once again the radio announced its presence perched in trees opposite the ISBG hide. A quick walk and I got into position at the end of the viewing screen and had fantastic views of the juvenile female Pallid Harrier as it sat preening before flying off towards town after 5 minutes. My 6th Scilly tick of the week!

Just north of the hide a confused Willow Warbler was singing.

Buff-breasted Sandpiper
 
I then decided to head up to the airport where after getting soaked I managed to pick out the juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpiper feeding just to the left of the runway and a single Wheatear. Another Wheatear was near Giant’s Castle alongside a very tame Snow Bunting. I had a quick 10 minute sea watch and noted 300+ Cory’s and 50+ Great Shearwaters past as well as 10 Sooty’s.

Snow Bunting

After more of the bunting I noticed a small group of people huddled around staring at the floor. I checked the WhatsApp news and realised they were all staring at a Crimson Speckled Moth! This African/Mediterranean migrant was one of my most wanted moths in this country so I shot over to join them and laid eyes on the stunning white, black and crimson moth perched in some gorse. Apparently it’d been seen to fly in off the sea! 

Crimson Speckled Moth


After having my fill of the moth I headed up towards Porth Hellick aiming for a slice of lemon drizzle cake at Longstones! At the entrance to PH Down I heard a call that superficially sounded like a Chiffchaff however when it perched up in full view the penny dropped and I realised I was looking at a Siberian Chiffchaff. Up at Normandy I bumped into Charlie Wilkins and whilst having a chat a Lesser Redpoll flew over calling. The rain then started falling again but even heavier. By the time I’d reached Pelistry I was totally soaked through and even finding a brief female Redstart didn’t help. After a much needed cuppa and cake I wandered through Lower Moors hoping to catch a view of a Glossy Ibis is as it was flying over but I only managed 3 House Martin. Down at Old Town I jammed in on the lingering Wryneck before it vanished and with it came the end of my week.

The week saw 120 species seen which included 6 Scilly ticks and 21 year ticks. Roll on next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment