Tuesday 5 December 2023

Scilly - 10.10.23

With my new found sea legs thanks to Phenergan tablets I decided to join the days pelagic hoping for a mega rare seabird. Sadly that didn’t materialise but I did managed 3 Scilly ticks. A 2nd year Pomarine Skua hung around for a few minutes and became my 200th species of the year. My 8th adult Sabine’s Gull of the year was the 2nd tick followed by the rarest bird in terms of Scilly listing that I saw all week when a 1st winter Caspian Gull was picked out and almost followed us back to the island. This was just the 5th record for the islands. 

Other highlights were a whopping 500+ Cory’s and 350+ Great Shearwaters, 2 Grey Phalarope, Puffin, 9 Sooty Shearwater and a Red-throated Diver off of Watermill Cove.

Pomarine Skua

A raft of Cory’s + Great Shearwaters

Grey Phalaropes

Caspian Gull


Back on dry land and I found a Spotted Flycatcher perched atop a tree adjacent to Old Town churchyard.


No comments:

Post a Comment