Wednesday 6 December 2023

Cornwall - 6.10.23

Another year had passed and so it was time to head down to the SW. My first stop was Caradan Hill near Bodmin. Here I wandered around dodging various animal 💩 for over an hour not seeing my intended target and so I headed back to the car when I bumped into another birder saying it’d just been found. So a hard trudge up the steep hill towards one of the quarries and we came across a small group of birders staring intently at a small Hawthorn tree. In it was just my 2nd ever Lesser Grey Shrike.


 
Lesser Grey Shrike


Marazion awaited and upon arrival the bird had disappeared from the field adjacent to the holiday camp so I went for a look over the reserve but saw nothing more exciting than 3 Little Egrets. I scanned over the field and saw the bird had returned so I shot over and watched only my 3rd ever Woodchat Shrike a nice juvenile. 


Woodchat Shrike

The Hayle Estuary was the final site before dinner but other than an adult Mediterranean Gull it was quiet. Though a Clouded Yellow flying over the centre of the estuary was a weird sight!


No comments:

Post a Comment