Sunday 6 March 2022

A County Tick At Last! - 1.1.22

 A new year and a new list. I started off from the garden and a Sparrowhawk was the best noted. 

I then headed to Wilstone and once at the top of the steps I scanned the water adding birds to the list as I went. I then checked my phone and was shocked to see a message from Ben Miller saying he’d gone and found a drake Green-winged Teal from the hide at Wilstone! With this news I shot round to the hide and upon entering I found Ben along with Mike Illet, Ian Williams and Roy Hargreaves. Mike kindly let me look through his scope to get my eye in before I got it in my scope. 

It was presumably the same bird that visited Wilstone briefly in 2021 so is either the 3rd or 4th for Herts and the first to be properly twitchable. That said it vanished just before noon so those slow off the mark missed out. It also became my first Herts tick since the Pallid Harrier in September 2018.

Other noteworthy birds were a drake Goosander, 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and 2 Great White Egret.

On Tringford a single Green Sandpiper was happily feeding on the exposed mud.


Sleeping Green-winged Teal

Yellow-legged Gull + Great White Egret

Goosander

No comments:

Post a Comment