Saturday 27 April 2013

Languard NR - 27.4.13



News on Thursday of a female Rock Thrush at Spurn got the juices flowing but they were stopped by the thought of having to keep my 9 year old son entertained on a 9 hour round trip! As it turned out the thrush did a friday night bunk and so my plans turned elsewhere. A Subalpine Warbler in Suffolk was initially ID'd as a Western which I saw down in Dorset a few years ago but when it was re-identified as an Eastern thats where I was heading. So myself and my boy set off quite late in the end around 11am and arrived on sight at Languard NR just before 1pm. A casual walk to join a small group of birders (including Joan Thompson, Lee Evans, Chris Sharp and young Ephraim Perfect who looked pleased at gripping off his older brother who had just gone back to Cornwall today!) resulted in a minute or so later a stunning male EASTERN SUBALPINE WARBLER popping out on top of a clump of gorse. For the next 30 minutes or so this little beauty flicked around the shrubs giving ample opportunity for photos but as for me and my hold my camera to the scope approach it proved fairly tricky to keep up with it but im happy with the 2 shots above. A scan of the sea produced nothing and on the common 10 Wheatears made it onto the list. Finally some sort of tick for the year albeit a sub-species tick. (lets hope its split soon!).

No comments:

Post a Comment