Tuesday 6 November 2012

Portugal - 31.10.12


The sleepy Black-Winged Stilt and Glossy Ibis

The last day of our holiday was upon us and so after brekkie we decided to walk down to the beach and walked east towards a small resteraunt in the distance that had a large wooden walkway attached to it over the inland area of marsh. The first birds of note were a group of 7 Spoonbill on the marsh sleeping again! 4 Serin then flew over before a small bird flew out of a tree infront of us and onto the floor. It was a Redstart which was a nice surprise as it was my first anywhere this year! After watching it for a couple of minutes I caught up with the others in the small car park and to my left a small bird flitted up from the weeds and called a single Zit. I immediately recognised the call as i'd heard it once before down in Kent. It was a Fan-Tailed Warbler! It skulked around for a bit before perching up for 10 seconds to let me have a proper look at it. Once on the beach the waves were rather large even with no wind which transfixed Tom all the way to the restaurant. 3 brown birds then landed in the dunes and looking at them in the bins I was please to see all 3 were Crested Larks a bird i've also seen in Kent! After 90 minutes we finally got to the restaurant and the only Wheatear of the holiday was perched on a rope fence below. After a dinner of clams and fish we walked over the long bridge. A Cetti's Warbler called from the other side and 4 Black-Tailed Godwit flew overhead. Once on the other side we walked along the edge of the golf course and found 2 more Crested Larks in the rough. My first ever female Sardinian Warbler perched long enough to get a good view and eventually we arrived at a new hide. On looking out just Little Egrets and Redshanks could be seen but a small pool a bit further along the path held a bird i'd hoped to see. A Black-Winged Stilt. We had a quick walk up to see it but it had gone to sleep. Realising we were being picked up in 3 hours to go to the airport we headed back but I noticed a small lake on the golf course so said i'll be 5 minutes and i'll catch you up! I was hoping for a Purple Swamphen but I only saw Coot and Moorhen plus Little Grebe, Pochard and Shoveler but then suddenly I noticed infront of me a Glossy Ibis. I managed a photo before it flew and I had to run back. The flight back was a bit of a rough landing at Luton and we got home just past midnight. A great break away with the family and a grand total of 79 species.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian, just came across yr blog - what a find! :-) We returned from Portugal on Wednesday and had spent much of our time at Quinto do Lago,walked the bridge,ate in the restaurant and visited the hide too - we therefore also saw all the birds you mention and more or less in exactly the same places,(!) - barr the Fan-tailed Warbler,Stilt or Swamphen :-( We did go to Quinto do Lago lake though where I saw my first Waxbill and we climbed up Rocha da Penna and watched 3 Bonelli's Eagles hunting!

    Portugal is a great place to go birding ( in summer we saw Bee-eaters and Golden Oriole) and your blog is a great place to learn. Keep posting glad I found it - Happy Birding, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa, thank you for your kind words. So sorry it's taken so long to reply but i've only just seen your post. It certainly was a good place for birding and Waxbill and Bonelli's Eagle would have been nice to seen. Glad your enjoying my blog and I hope you continue to read it.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete