Thursday 1 November 2012

Autumn saved by a Slav Grebe!! - 26.10.12


The showy Slavonian Grebe

Unless you live on the Northern Isles, Western Isles, Western Ireland or the Scilly Isles this autumn has been in terms of rare birds and lifers very dull! So one day before my break to Portugal news broke about a grebe that had been present at Wilstone Reservoir for 3 days. It had initially been identified as a Red-Necked followed by a Black-Necked. I didn't need either of these for my Herts list so didn't venture over. Then the news I was hoping for was that it was indeed a Slavonian Grebe was released and I definately needed that for Herts!! So I rushed over there to find the bird showing down to a few feet on the waters edge! A quick scan of the reservoir produced a late Swallow and a Rock Pipit near the new overflow. 2 Lesser Redpoll flew over as did 38 Redwing. Near the hide were 11 Pintail (3 male) and in the far corner of the field from the old overflow were 2 Red-Legged Partridge and in with a flock of Chaffinch I picked out 2 Brambling which were my first anywhere for 3 years. From the freezing cold to the warm Algarve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment