Tuesday 4 September 2012

Dorset - 28.8.12

1 of the 2 Whinchats.


As there was a good bird back on the 'mainland' we headed back North and while driving past Ferrybridge I spotted a Little Egret on the small pool next to the car park. I took Carey to Littlesea to show her the Haven holiday camp that i'd spent many a happy holiday at and also to have a quick nose over the fleet! A quick scan found 3 more Little Egrets and 3 Mediterranean Gulls (2 adult winter and a juv).


Next stop was Wyke Regis where after a bit of walking I picked up my first 2 Whinchat of the year along with 4 Wheatears. Unfortunately the Woodchat Shrike didn't want to show itself. Another juv Med Gull was on the fleet and my first Painted Lady butterfly of the year flew past.


We paid another visit to the Bill early evening and as Carey read her book I notched up 3 Sandwich Terns and another Manx Shearwater but around 4.45pm I picked up a Grey Phalarope as it was heading West. Unfortunately quickly after I picked it up it flew into the sun's reflection on the sea and I lost it disapointing the birder behind me who I was trying to get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment