Sunday 13 November 2011

Wilstone Reservoir - 13.11.11





Some of the Golden Plover and some of the Bewick's Swans.


I was planning on going to Margate today to see an Eastern Black Redstart but I didn't crawl out of bed until gone 10am and the fact that i'd have had to be back by early afternoon meant that was out the window so when 10 Bewick's Swans were reported at Wilstone Reservoir I decided to head off there for a couple of hours instead. I nabbed the last parking space and walked up the steps to be greeted by Steve Rodwell who informed me the swans were still present but viewing was better nearer the new overflow due to the sun. I wandered up and started scanning when the wonderfully named Lucy Flower (nice to meet you!) asked if i'd seen any Goldeneyes to which I replied no but there are 10 Bewick's Swans here. I picked them up (7 adults and 3 juvs) feeding close to the centre of the res and showed her through my scope. I was then going to go and see the Brent Goose but decided to try for the Water Pipit instead by the jetty. A male Pintail and hundreds of Golden Plover were seen but no luck with the pipit so I headed back to the car where I bumped into Matthew Rosser who'd just been ringing nearby and with him was Mike Collard (nice to meet you aswell!) so I told them where to view from and all 10 birds were still present. 4 Buzzards on the way home on the A41 were seen aswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment