Saturday 19 March 2011

Wilstone Reservoir - 19.3.11



The Water Pipit and the CUA Cormorant. If you look with your head to the left and on the left side of the ring you can just make out the letters!

I paid my first visit to Tring this afternoon and along with my girlfriend and her daughter and grand daughter we spent just over an hour walking around the reservoir. One of the first birds of the visit was a Cetti's Warbler that sang near the cemetary corner. Next up was the wintering Water Pipit that was unfortunately being flushed by passers by. I did manage 1 photo but as you can see from abover it was quickly taken and a bit over exposed! My first spring migrant of the year was a Chiffchaff singing between the reservoir and the farm shop. Also noted were 6 Lapwing, Little Egret a Red Kite and Buzzard in the same binocular view, 12 Goldeneyes (2 lucky males displaying to 10 females!) and last but not least an old friend of mine. A Cormorant with the white darvic ring with green letter CUA. I first saw this bird as a 1st winter/juv in 2006 so it's still liking the reservoir in winter.
Afterwards I spent 2 minutes at Startops End Reservoir and saw the male Red-Crested Pochard which was year tick number 122.

No comments:

Post a Comment