Monday 13 January 2014

Chipperfield, Hilfield + Tring - 11.1.14

The Pink-Footed Goose
 
A nice sunny day for once so on opening the curtains my first Buzzard of the year flew past quickly followed by a Sparrowhawk.

As I'm taking part in the Patchwork Challenge I thought it best that I should have a proper walk around Hilfield and try to add a few more species to the list. On reaching the top of the steps 4 Buzzard were flying over the north pines and in amongst the trees was my first Grey Heron (58) of the year. During the walk around I noted 2 Bullfinch, 2 Treecreeper, 4 Lesser Redpoll and finally caught up with the Goldeneye that had been present for a few days. The last bird of my visit was a screeching Water Rail. In all I added 10 more species for the challenge. I just now have to write up the list and work out my points.

As I had a couple of hours of daylight left I headed up to Wilstone Reservoir. I walked round to the jetty but there was no sign of the Water Pipit but in the hedge behind was a female Reed Bunting. Next stop was the hide where I had a scan and straight away found the Black-Tailed Godwit in with the Lapwings. Just then Dave Bilcock said he had the Pink-Footed Goose in with the small flock of Greylag Geese. It had been found before Christmas but had disappeared so was a welcome tick. At least 30 Snipe were huddled together in a gap in the reeds and 2 Little Egret were seen flying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment