Thursday 19 May 2011

County Tick! - 18.5.11





3 pics of the Ring-Necked Duck


Finally after neighbouring counties had had some pretty good birds like Roseate Tern, Black Stork and Spotted Sandpiper, Herts popped up with a female Ring-Necked Duck at Wilstone Reservoir. I recieved a phone call at 7am from Joan Thompson but the crappy signal in my house stopped me from talking to her! She wouldn'y normally ring at that time so I thought it must be a good bird somewhere! Thankfully she texted me the news a couple of minutes later. Shame I had to go to work! I kept checking the pager all day hoping it would stick around. I left work and drove up there and hit the rain at Chesham. I power walked along the bank of the reservoir and bumped into Chris Sharp who put me on the bird. I managed the 3 shots above during and between the showers! Also present were 500+ Swift and 3 Hobbies. The duck was a welcome tick as i'd been a day too late for the drake at Wilstone many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment