Friday 27 October 2017

Scilly 9.10.17

Cedar Waxwing

Hawfinch

The first CB message of the day was of a Spoonbill on Green Island again so without falling out of the flat window I set the scope up and managed to get it on the flat list!

A Peregrine flew in off at Porthcressa beach.

As it was a nice sunny day we decided to head back to St.Agnes and try for better views of the Cedar Waxwing. As soon as we arrived I headed to the Post Office for a nice pasty to fill me up and then it was down Barnaby Lane where the previous 2 days a Hawfinch had taken up residence. Staring into the garden of Barnaby cottage I picked out some movement and was delighted to find it was a stunning Firecrest. After 20 minutes of no show Hawfinch I walked off down the lane and found a Yellow-browed Warbler in one of the hedges. Happy I walked back to the group to be told it had just shown briefly but dropped out of sight. a couple of minutes later what looked like a Hawfinch flew off towards the Parsonage so I decided to try my luck down there. Again no sign of it but I did connect with my first Spotted and Pied Flycatchers of the year! Back to Barnaby Lane and I found a small group looking intently into the garden. There it was feeding on berries of a Whitebeam Tree. For 5 minutes I had my best ever views of Hawfinch and a Scilly tick too.

After filling my boots with that I headed towards St.Warna's Cove but as I passed the post office I found 2 more Yellow-browed Warblers in a neighbouring garden. As I neared the cove I flushed a Whinchat from the beach but when I reached where we had seen the Waxwing on Saturday there was nobody there. I quietly walked through the bushes to the other side and found 4 people staring into a small group of trees. It had been showing well but had become elusive after stuffing itself! We were soon joined by a group of day twitchers who timed it perfectly as the Cedar Waxwing popped out and showed well for 20 minutes. Stunning! With time to spare I had a look at the Fruitcages area and found 2 Firecrest!

No comments:

Post a Comment