Monday 30 January 2012

Tring - 29.1.12




Both the long stayers - Snow Bunting and Brent Goose.



As I had to drop my boy off in Berkhampstead for his cousins birthday party at noon I decided to make the most of the rest of the day and pay a visit to Tring reservoirs. First stop was Bison Hill car park at Dunstable Downs in the hope of seeing Red Kites but the misty and cold weather probably didn't help and therefore no kites were seen. A Yellowhammer was calling around the car park so got itself onto the year list. I then popped into Startops End Reservoir where after a couple of minutes I found the Snow Bunting busy feeding on the rocky edge where it had been for over a month now (and to think I was so worried about it doing a bunk when it was first found I took a half day from work to go and see it!!). A loud bang from the fields put up lots of Woodpigeons and surprisingly 21 Meadow Pipits that flew over the reservoir.


I then headed down the road to Wilstone Reservoir where finally I managed to see the Dark -Bellied Brent Goose that had been around for something like 3 months! Down in cemetery corner 2 more year ticks were added in the shape of a Grey Wagtail and a flock of around 50 Linnet. I then picked up a Redshank before a female Goldeneye flew past. I then decided to have a look through the gull flock in the hope of picking up something out of the ordinary but unfortunately nothing was forth coming. A male Pintail was also seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment