Sunday 17 October 2010

What Are The Odds? - 16.10.10


Photos of the adult and adult with juv in bottom right hand corner.

As it was my dads 60th birthday on the sunday myself and the missus went up to Norfolk earlyish on Saturday and as we had a couple of hours to kill we went to my local Norfolk patch of Winterton-on-Sea. Barbara (my other half) sat in the car for some kip and I did an hours seawatching from the car park. Almost immediately 9 Dark Bellied Brent Geese flew North close in and these were followed by another 90 during the hour. Gannets were in good numbers but always distant. 8 Red-Throated Divers were on the sea, 20 Pintail, 29 Wigeon, 4 Guillemot, 3 Kittiwake and a drake Eider flew past but the highlights were my first Arctic Skua of the year and the best bird of the day which flew North albeit a bit distant at 1.40pm which was a juvenile Sabine's Gull. This was only my 2nd in the UK and so was a great find.

Afterwards we went to get some lunch at Poppylands cafe in Horsey and was informed of 3 Common Cranes in the field opposite. I went and got my bins out of the car and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was 2 adults and a juvenile (my first ever juv). After a cuppa I attempted to get a photo of the birds but an adult had walked out of view and the juv had sat down and only its head was showing. 3 Swallows also flew over.

If your wondering about the title of this post then let me explain! Later in the evening as a birthday surprise we all went to Yarmouth stadium for a night at the dogs. Race 5 dog number 2 was called Small Crane! Surely an omen? So £2 to win was placed and it romped home winning me £5.40!!

No comments:

Post a Comment