Thursday 8 July 2010

White-Tailed Plover - 7.7.10


2 photos of the White-Tailed Plover that I managed to take before it flew.

Well what a day! I finally had my car back from my girlfriend after 3 weeks of hersbeing in a garage and what good timing it was. At work I was using loud equipment and had missed a mega alert on my pager and it was 3 hours later I found out a WHITE-TAILED PLOVER had been found at Rainham Marshes RSPB in London. So after work I popped home for my optics and set off, unfortunately a crash in the Blackwall tunnel meant that everything was being diverted onto the road I wanted to use! Just like the twitch to Wales I walked up to the site and was told it was showing well. On arrival I was told it had flown out of view 3 minutes ago and so a nervous 50 minute wait ensued before it suddenly appeared and I had my 4th UK lifer of the year. It showed well for 4 minutes but then a Lapwing chased it off and it flew out of view showing its white tail.

During the wait 12 Little Egrets, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper and a Wigeon were seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment