Sunday 17 September 2023

Wilstone - 30.8.23

Garganey’s

 Another year older today so as I was on annual leave from work I headed up to Wilstone Reservoir to break my new walking boots in and hopefully see some birds. Water levels had started to drop and so there was a bit of exposed mud on the western side unfortunately nothing of note was utilising it.

A Reed Warbler in the hedge on the north side was an unusual sight and from the hide I quickly located the 2 Garganey a 1st winter bird and an eclipse male. 6 Common Sandpiper were also noted from the hide 2 Swift were still hanging around alongside 20+ House Martin. In the orchard I had 2 brief views of my first Spotted Flycatcher of the year. In cemetery corner a juvenile Willow Warbler was with a mobile tit flock. 2 Hobby were near the hide and I noted around 20 Chiffchaff from around the reservoir.

The only other thing of note was my first ever Hertfordshire Small Heath butterfly


No comments:

Post a Comment