Thursday 16 February 2012

Caspian Gull - 16.2.12

Finally my photo of Thursday's Caspian Gull.


After numerous reports from Amwell NR overthe last few days concerning Caspian Gulls I decided to pay a visit after work today. I arrived on site at 4.30pm and bumped into Joan Thompson, Derek Turner and Barry Reed and a couple of others I didn't recognise (should have introduced myself!). Unfortunatley there were no Smew present but a couple of Cetti's Warblers burst into life. Thankfully after just 10 minutes I had another scan through the gulls and re-found the 1st winter Caspian Gull just beyond the right hand tern raft. Not being the biggest fan of gulls especially juv/1st winter plumages I felt quite chuffed to have picked it out. The long thin bill and white head and breast certainly made it easy to find. I managed 1 photo of the bird that wasn't blurred but which i'm having trouble getting on here at the moment so as soon as I can I will get it on here for your viewing. This bird represents my first Herts tick of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment